skip to main content
Search: Keyword:
 

  About The School  

Strategic Plan

Mission:

Destination Graduation for College, Career, and Life.

Our mission is the purpose for which we exist as a school system.

 

Vision:

An Equitable and Excellent Education for Every Student

Our Vision describes a future state to which we aspire as a school system.

 

Beliefs (Core Values):

We believe:

  • All children can learn.
  • The family plays the most important role in a young child's life.
  • Children come to school at different levels of readiness.
  • People learn in diverse ways and at different rates.
  • Students' needs must drive educational decisions.
  • The schools are responsible for educating all children in a safe environment.
  • A relationship exists between expectations and learning.
  • A quality education prepares students for college, career, and life.
  • Learning occurs when students are motivated and engaged.
  • Effective teaching promotes learning.
  • Nurturing relationships support learning.
  • Creating a caring culture is key to engaging all learners.
  • Community engagement and support are vital for effective schools.
  • Parents, schools, community, and students share the responsibility for educating all children and for each student's educational success.
  • The community and the state have the responsibility to ensure that a viable public educational program is provided for all children and youth.
  • Visionary leadership is essential to continuous improvement.
  • Employing and retaining highly qualified, effective staff and providing opportunities for their professional growth are crucial to the schools' effectiveness.

You can access Coffee County School System's Strategic Plan here.


History of West Green Elementary School

Image for History of West Green Elementary School

                The Georgia State Constitution of 1877 provided for the funding of a fundamental elementary education program which would include grades 1-7. At about this time a small log building was erected five miles north of West Green’s current location. The building served as a church and a school. The men of the church cut the logs for the building and also split the boards for the cover. Joel Ward Sr. gave the piece of land on which to erect this building. Uncle Edd Newton, a full-blooded Cherokee Indian, and Joel Ward contracted to build the school/church building. The building had no glass windows, but there were several windows with wooden shutters. The building was finished about 1874 and was named “Friendship Baptist Church”.

                In 1905 the village of West Green was established. It was then called “Twenty Mile Post”. There was a two-story school building erected at this little village with four classrooms downstairs and an auditorium upstairs.

                In 1907 the village was known as Garrant but again changed in 1916 to its present name of West Green. The name West Green was derived from two men’s names, Westbrook and Green, who were sent to promote land sales in this section.

                Early during the 1920’s the Georgia State Legislators provided for a stronger educational program. Secondary education was added, consolidation was encouraged, and local bond issues for buildings in rural areas were permitted. Prior to this act, only the urban areas could incorporate and vote bonds and build school buildings. Communities like Nicholls and Broxton had incorporated and build schools, but rural children could not attend unless they paid tuition and furnished their own transportation. After the legislative action of the 1920’s the rural communities could likewise vote bond issues. This greatly strengthened the rural education program.

                The community of West Green was the first community in Coffee County to take advantage of this new legislation, followed by Ambrose, Nicholls, and Broxton. Several schools in and surrounding the community of West Green were consolidated and a new brick school building was constructed on the site of the present West Green School campus. The school consisted of eleven grades and was recognized as the first rural high school in Coffee County.

                This school apparently served the community well until the 1942-43 school term when it burned. During this span of time from 1925-1942 and interesting segment of educational history transpired in Georgia. Teachers were paid a minimum salary somewhere in the neighborhood of $35.00-$45.00 per month during the late 1920’s and early 1930’s. Many of the teachers roomed and boarded with the parents of the pupils whom they taught. During the depression, money was tight. The board of education did not have the money to pay teachers. Therefore teachers were paid in script or vouchers. This was nothing more than a piece of paper stating that the teacher had earned so much money and that she would be paid when funds were available. Some merchants took advantage of the situation and would discount the teachers’ vouchers for a greater amount than the purchase was actually worth. This was a most difficult and trying time for teachers but they carried on as the professionals that they were. They weathered the storm of the depression along with everyone else.

                During the 1942 school term, West Green School burned. Only one building remained after the fire. It was a large frame building that had formerly been the lunchroom’s facility. The West Green Board of Trustees collect $13,00.00 insurance money and had plans to build a new school, but it was war time and the federal government would not permit to construct the present gymnasium, the former lunchroom, and the principal’s home which is now known as the “Little Red School House” and houses the kindergarten. For a short span of time after the fire, West Green School consisted of eleven grades housed in one frame building and two church buildings, located within the village. Soon after the war, old army barracks were transported to West Green and other schools from Moultrie, Georgia in order to more adequately house our pupils. These barrack units were purchased for almost nothing but cost $600.00 per unit to be transported. For twelve years (a student’s school lifetime), there was not a facility at West Green worthy of being called a school. Due to no one’s neglect during this period of time, facilities at West Green School were a disgrace!

                In 1933 Dr. E.M. Thompson was elected Superintendent of the county school system. As stated earlier, 1933 was “hard times”. Schools were financed by the board of education for only six months and the local boards of trustees would attempt to finance the three additional months. With no disrespect intended but with only hard times as the cause, Dr. Thompson took the reins of the superintendency with $600.00 cash money and a debt of $40,000.00. Dr. Thompson closed schools after five months during his second year. He also located a financially secure individual who began discounting the teachers’ vouchers. Also, the state began pouring in more financial assistance as time began to improve. By the close of Dr. Thompson’s first term the county school system was practically financially secure.

                The county board of education was very aware of the lack of adequate facilities, not only in West Green, but practically all over Coffee County. Dr. Thompson desired a new school for West Green, but before a building for West Green could be approved, the entire county would have to vote affirmatively. The board of education realized the futility of such a bond issue.

                Finally Dr. Thompson devised a building program that would benefit most of Coffee County. In 1952, a county bond issue was approved by a four to one vote that supplied $443,000.00 of local effort. Included in this sum of money was the construction of the present high school. This high school was the leverage that was used to consolidate the Douglas City School “System with the county school system. The city system contributed $129,000.00 of local effort to the building program. New buildings were constructed at Coffee High, Carver, Broxton, Mary Hayes, Paul, Eastside, Westside, West Green.

                West Green School as it is known today was officially opened in August of 1955. As one can most readily perceive, education in Georgia has traveled a rough road!

Taken from “Our Favorite Recipes” Sponsored by West Green Parents-Teachers-Association ©>1961

If you have corrections or additions to the school history, please email them to deidre.taft@coffee.k12.ga.us